Monday, July 19, 2010

Growing up

Being a "grown up" isn't always fun. I've said for a long time that I wouldn't ever grow up, but I'd be an adult. I had to grow up anyway. This week.
My family left on Thursday morning for Idaho, where a family reunion was about to take place. They got to Rexburg that night and saw my brother, John, and his girlfriend, Emily. Then, on Friday night, they camped (as part of the reunion), and on Saturday they ate and visited and did family reunionish things. Saturday night they set off for Utah to visit friends and family.
How did I have to "grow up?" I had to stay home to work. This was the week of my life I've been absolutely dreading up until this point. Not only did I have to stay home because I was on the schedule (because I didn't know in time to request a week off), I also had to stay home for work because even if I COULD request the time off, I wouldn't have been able to because I need the money. This thought stirs wretched feelings inside of me every time I think about it. Okay, not really, but it doesn't make me extremely happy. It's the part where I remember how I don't want to be an adult and I never asked to become one, anyway.
I know this definitely sounds like a complaining session (probably because it is one), even though I don't want it to.
There are some really good things about being an adult, like:
  • Having great friends for life who I met at BYUI,
  • Being able to drive,
  • Having more available access to money (although I never do spend it because I'm always saving it for school),
  • Being about to help children,
  • Knowing how to cook and not mess it up,
  • Having knowledge,
  • Going on hikes when I would like to.

Well, there are good and bad things about being a child, and there are good and bad things about being an adult. I guess when the bad times being an adult come my way, I become extremely reminiscent of my childhood. It's something I have to work on. I take challenges when they come my way. Sometimes I just like the sound of being 9 or 10 again. (Although I wouldn't have all the great friends I have now, who are people I can't live without!)

When it all boils down to it, though, I am always grateful that I am me and that I'm not anyone else. I like being me, and I have fun doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment