Saturday, August 27, 2011

Excitement

The life of a university student isn't always the most exciting thing in the world, which is why I've spared so many people from updating my blog as of late. (Okay, that is only partially true.)
But, for example, today I spent 4 1/2 hours in the library studying for and taking two online quizzes. That is not exciting at all. However, amongst learning many new academic things, I also learned why the library here is so cold. (No matter how hot you feel when you go in, if you stay in the library for more than one hour, you need a jacket...and possibly some gloves.)
Because I spent a good part of my day in the library, I went to the bathroom (twice, if you were wondering). On the doors inside of the stalls, they have library newsletters. (I guess they're so that you don't get bored while you're there...and so that you can learn more...) I noticed that it explained why the library is so cold: Hawaii is naturally a bad environment for books, due to the humidity and large amount of bugs. Bugs like to eat paper (did not know that), and humidity can damage the books as well. Keeping the library BELOW 70 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT (21 CELSIUS) helps ward off bugs and humidity. (I always wondered how cold it was in there, exactly...)
Last time I read the newsletter, I found out that George Washington Carver didn't actually invent peanut butter. Ironically, I read this AFTER I wrote a story for my science class about the very man, and the fact that he invented peanut butter. (Now, I don't know what to believe. I have an inclination that the library newsletter is correct...for the sole reason that it is the library newsletter.)
This week, my mom had an interview for a 1/2 time music teaching position. The same day, they phoned to let her know that she got the job! Boeing also let my dad know that he could start work again on light duty. (He's been away on medical leave for about a year.) Needless to say, our family has been VERY blessed this week, and answers to our long-time prayers have come. I think my parents are beginning to see a little bit more light again. (It's been a long time.) To top it off, I was studying my scriptures in Mosiah today, and I came across this verse: "Nevertheless the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people; yea, he trieth their patience and their faith." (Mosiah 23:21.) I immediately thought of that situation, and how much my parents' patience and faith has been tried. I'm pretty sure the Lord is pleased with the way they've worked through all the troubles they've had.
And more exciting news: Monday is the last day of class for one class, and Wednesday for the other. (No Thursday or Friday finals!!!) Which means I finish everything BEFORE I pick up John from the airport! YES! I'm so excited that my brother is going to be here with me. It's awesome to have family around. (Matthew visited in July, which was also fun.) This also means no more Sunday Skype with John. Considering the fact that in mid-September my church time moves from 9 AM to 8 AM, I'm not sure what I'll do with my time! (I may just have to buy my parents a webcam. Or Skype other friends. Or "hangout" on Google Plus, which is pretty cool.)
That's all for now, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment