Thursday, January 24, 2013

Nicknames and TheBus

Typically, society portrays Alice (from Alice in Wonderland) as having blonde hair. That’s why it was so hard for me one morning to decide if I was “Alice in Wonderland” or “Goldilocks.” You see, I was riding the bus one morning, as my usual routine in getting to work, and a man was speaking to another bus rider, but with an unusually loud voice.
“I have a name for every person who rides this bus every morning,” he boasted. “I call herAlice in Wonderland,’ and that one is Goldilocks.” He babbled on about this for a few minutes, repeating himself a few times, and talking about nicknames for a few other people. I knew I had to be one of those two.
“But then again,” I questioned myself, “Why am I not Sleeping Beauty? Doesn’t he see me at least trying to sleep every morning?”
As creepy as it may have sounded, I did want to know who I was. I could ask him, but I didn’t want to spark a long conversation with him. I try to sleep on the bus, and that would foil my plans. As I posted it on facebook, most responses I got back were in favor of me being “Alice.”
Well, this Nickname Guy couldn’t be too creepy; I had a few nicknames for people before. Actually, one man in particular.
On a later bus I used to ride, a man with an earring, glasses, and a mole, who worked at a museum, would get onto the bus. Of course, since my eyes were closed, I would usually smell him before I could see him. That led his nickname to become “Coffee Boy.” He’d walk onto that bus with coffee every morning. Sometimes he sat next or close to me, and I could smell that coffee even more. I just started to call him Coffee Boy in my head. Whenever I see him (usually on the way home), I say to myself, “There’s Coffee Boy.” I guess some people earn reputations, neither good nor bad. I earned an Alice/Goldilocks rep because of my hair, and another man earned a coffee rep.
The one rule Nicknaming Guy broke: you should never tell people on the bus about your nicknames for other bus riders.
And I guess he just earned himself a nickname by breaking that rule. 

2 comments:

  1. Haha I love this blog post!! Nicknaming people is the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it quite fun (just as long as it's not mean)!

      Delete